The main functions of the Department of Electrical Inspectorate as envisaged under the Electricity Act, 2003 regulations made these under are as follows:
- Scrutiny and approval of electrical installation drawings of Generating Stations of IPPs (Hydel, Thermal, Wind, Diesel, Co-Generation, Bio-mass, etc.) Transmission lines and Sub Stations of Suppliers, Licensees and Consumers.
- To conduct initial Inspection of Medium, High and Extra High Voltage installations including Diesel Generating Sets pertaining to Govt. Departments, Private Institutions, Suppliers/Licensees and other consumers as per provisions of regulation 32, 36 & 43 of Central Electricity Authority (Measures relating to safety & Electric Supply) Regulations, 2010.
- To conduct periodical Inspection of Extra High, High and Medium-voltage installations including Diesel Generating Sets pertaining to Govt. Departments, Private Institutions, Suppliers/Licensees and other consumers as per provision of regulation 30 of Central Electricity Authority (Measures relating to safety & Electric Supply) regulations 2010.
- Investigation of fatal, non-fatal electrical accident cases of human beings and animals.
- To conduct examinations for the issue of Supervisors Certificate of Competency and Wireman Permits and renewal thereof every five years.
- To grant exemption from electrical supervisor to qualified Degree, Diploma in Electrical Engineering and wiremen permit an examination to I.T.I. certificate holders in the electrical trade.
- To grant licenses of three categories i.e. A, B & C classes through State Licensing Board consisting of five members i.e. The Chief Electrical Inspector to Govt. of Himachal Pradesh as a Chairman, The Senior most Head of electrical engineering department from amongst Govt. Polytechnics of Himachal Pradesh as a member, The Superintending Engineer, Operation Circle, HPSEBL, Shimla as a member, The Superintending Engineer, HPPWD, Electrical Circle, Shimla as a member and The Electrical Inspector to Govt. of Himachal Pradesh as a Member Secretary. The renewal of licenses so granted is done after two, three and five years for A, B and C classes respectively.
- Annual Inspection of Electrical Installations of Cinemas as per provisions of H.P. Cinemas (Regulation) Rules, 1979.
- Issuance of certificates to cinema operators after conducting examinations as per provisions of H.P. Cinema (Regulation) Rules, 1979.
- Mooting cases for amendment in extant Acts and Rules in collaboration with Central Electricity Board.
- Monitoring realization of electricity duty, maintenance of record thereof and verification of deposits as per the provisions of H.P. Electricity (Duty) Act 2009 and Rules made there under.
- Authorization of Chartered Electrical Safety Engineers as per provisions contained in regulation 5A of Central Electricity Authority (Measures relating to safety and Electric Supply) Regulations, 2010 and consequent notification No. MPP-F(5)-22/2013-II dated 06/01/2020 of Department of MPP and Power, Government of Himachal Pradesh.
- Other miscellaneous duties/works as may be assigned by the Govt. from time to time.