The main functions of the Department of Electrical Inspectorate as envisaged under the Electricity Act, 2003 regulations made these under are as follows:
- Scrutiny and approval of electrical installation drawings of Generating Stations of IPPs (Hydel, Thermal, Wind, Diesel, Co-Generation, Bio-mass, etc.) Transmission lines and Sub Stations of Suppliers, Licensees and Consumers.
- To conduct initial Inspection of Medium, High and Extra High Voltage installations including Diesel Generating Sets pertaining to Govt. Departments, Private Institutions, Suppliers/Licensees and other consumers as per provisions of regulation 32, 36 & 43 of Central Electricity Authority (Measures relating to safety & Electric Supply) regulations 2010.
- To conduct periodical Inspection of Extra High, High and Medium-voltage installations including Diesel Generating Sets pertaining to Govt. Departments, Private Institutions, Suppliers/Licensees and other consumers as per provision of regulation 30 of Central Electricity Authority (Measures relating to safety & Electric Supply) regulations 2010.
- Investigation of fatal, non-fatal electrical accident cases of human beings and animals.
- To conduct examinations for the issue of Supervisors Certificate of Competency and Wireman Permits and renewal thereof every five years.
- To grant exemption from electrical supervisor to qualified Degree, Diploma in Electrical Engineering and wiremen permit an examination to I.T.I. certificate holders in the electrical trade.
- To grant licenses of three categories i.e. A, B & C classes through State Licensing Board consisting of five members i.e. Chief Electrical Inspector as a Chairman, Senior most Head of electrical engineering department from amongst Govt. Polytechnic Colleges of Himachal Pradesh as a member, two non-official members to be nominated by the State Govt. from amongst the MLAs as members and Electrical Inspector as a Member Secretary. The renewal of licenses so granted is done after two, three and five years for A, B and C classes respectively.
- Annual Inspection of Electrical Installations of Cinemas as per provisions of H.P. Cinemas (Regulation) Rules, 1979.
- Issuance of certificates to cinema operators after conducting examinations as per provisions of H.P. Cinema (Regulation) Rules, 1979.
- Mooting cases for amendment in extant Acts and Rules in collaboration with Central Electricity Board.
- Monitoring realization of electricity duty, maintenance of record thereof and verification of deposits as per the provisions of H.P. Electricity (Duty) Act 2009 and Rules made there under.
- Other miscellaneous duties/works as may be assigned by the Govt. from time to time.